European Colonisation

This clip will teach you about the first Australians and the first time the British Stepped foot on our country. How did the aboriginal people feel when they saw these foreign things arrive on their land?

How would the English people on board have felt after finally arriving to their new home?

Complete an “I think, I feel, I wonder” statement as if you were an Englishman or an Aboriginal during this time. Post your thoughts below.

20 thoughts on “European Colonisation

1. I am an Engish Man
    I think I must be careful with the Aboriginals
    I feel confused about what are the Aboriginals doing dancing
    I wonder how we are going to live in this new, strange land

2. i think- this is my country, why don’t they go somewhere else

i feel- confused and angry the whites came and took over

i wonder- how long they are going to stay for

3. I am an aboriginal in 1788. I see a dark shadow in the ocean. It seems to be a large boat. I tell my family to come and see this sight. I can see from a distance moving creatures on the boat which appear to be a new specie of humans. I feel worried and weak in the heart. Something tells me this is not right. I wonder what willl happen next? I feel scared and shy. I think that Australia will never be the same again. I wait quietly for the humans to come and explain everything. I hope everything will remain the same as it is today.

4. i think that the aboriginies should be treated with more respect

i feel sad because they didn’t want the aboriginies to stay

i wonder why they treated them so bad just because their diffrent it does not mean their one of us

5. i think why cant we all stay togather

i fell worried because the aboriginies might hurt us

i wonder how long we are going to travel for

6. I am an Aboriginal

I think: This is our country. They don’t have the right to just come here.

I feel: Scared and worried if they are going to hurt us.

I wonder: Why did they just come to Australia with out permission?

7. I am an aboriginal person.
    I am looking around I see all the land with the brown and old dusty dirt, I let my mind take off and explore. My thoughts then get interrupted by a loud noise ahead. I take a quick glimpse I see 11 ships with small figures, I wonder who are they and what are they doing here. As I approach then, to get a clear view, I suddenly realize these strange figures are people wearing blue and red suits and are carrying weapons. Then I feel a shade of fear wash over me I need to protect my family from these people. I can just wonder what they are going to do next……

8. I am a white person
    I think that we should treat the Aboriginies how they should be treated
    I feel worried where the Aboriginies are going to leave
    I wonder why thEY want us to dance with them

9. I am a Aboriginal girl……………….
    I see- Strange people walking around with weird clothes on.
    I think-That these people are here for something!
    I wonder-How long are they going to be here? What are they here for?

10. I am an aboriginal person.
    I am looking around I see all the land with the brown and old dusty dirt, I let my mind take off and explore. My thoughts then got interrupted by a loud noise ahead. I take a quick glimpse I see 11 ships with small figures, I wonder who are they and what are they doing here. As I approach then, to get a clear view, I suddenly realize these strange figures are people wearing blue and red suits and are carrying weapons. Then I feel a shade of fear wash over me I need to protect my family from these people. I can just wonder what they are going to do next……

11. I am a aborginal girl in 1788. I see massive wooden boats coming towards us and all these kinds of things that are red,white and black are they creatures from another universe.Everyone in my trib went and hid but I was staying to see what they are doing here. They were taking lots of object off the ships.I feel really scared now because I do not know what they are here for or what they want.I feel worried for my family because I do not know what they are going to do to them and I wonder how long are they going to stay here in our beautiful land. I have no idea what to do anymore

12. I think- that this is my country and they should have asked before they all just came in to our country.
    I feel-angry and confused why the whites came here
    I wonder- why they are here and how long they are staying for, are they taking over or just looking at our country?

13. I think- that this is my country and that that should of asked us first before they came into our country like that.
    I feel- angry and confused about why the whites came here into our country.

14. I’m an Aboriginal…

I think… I think these strange people have very awkward gear but which are men and which are women?

I feel… I feel protective and caring making sure they do no damage to my family or to my people.

I wonder… I wonder what these people are doing with sharp things and what are those creatures that they have brought with them?

15. I am a aboriginal boy.

I think this our country we came here first you have no rite to take over.

I am feeling terrified and worried i do not know what they are going to do with me.

I wonder why they will come here and take us away and remark as tho it is theres.

16. i think to my self who are these people and what are they doing here

i feel sceared because i dont know what they are going to do to me

i wonder if they will treat me good or bad

17. I am an aborigianal boy inn 1788, i see lots of large shadows coming through the habour i tell my tribe to come and see the odd sight, i see these creatures on the big beast in the water i think the are possoms because they were climbing on the beast.
    I think they are odd and different creatures or possibly spirits and the should go away my father and other men went i the canoes and told them to go away.
    I am feeling mad that they are taking over my tribal areas i also feel terrified and scared that they might attack my tribe.
    I wait quietly for the strange creatures to explain why they are here.
    I wonder if Australia will stay the same as today.

18. i am an aboriginal boy

i think that no one should have the right to take over our country

i feel really scared because i dont know what they are going to do to me

i wonder why are they coming here and taking us away

19. Iam an aboriganal man

I think theese wierd creatures are coming to take over our land and i am willing to fight for my tribe.

I feel angry because they are hurting my tribe and now i have to save them i am scared aswell as my tribe.

I wonder why they think they are the boss of the land. I wonder if they are going to go away.