If the World were a village of 100 people

This video was created in 2008. It gives you a starting point so you can see how the percentages have changed over a few short years.


This video was created in 2010.


This video was also created in 2010 but presented in another way. Are the percentages the same?

This is the most updated video of the 4. It was created this year. Have a look at all four videos and discuss the differences in statistics over time. Which ones have improved? Which ones have not improved? Your task is to then choose one statistic with a partner and find a way to creatively present the statistic to the class. Make sure no body in the class is doing your statistic. You might need to do extra research to explain the details of your statistic. In the end we will have created a classroom display.

7 thoughts on “If the World were a village of 100 people

  1. In 2008 30% of the people were children and the other 70% were adults. The video in 2013 on the other hand showed that 50 people were under the age of 25. We believe that there are more young people now than in 2008 because more people have been born

  2. The religions statistics did not change between 2008 and 2010

    The stastistics show no main religion

    We think in 2014 the religion num ers will change because population continues to grow and people will believe in other religions

  3. In 2008 1 person would die of hunger, thirst and dehydration from the causes of Heat and no water.

    In 2010 13 adults/children were hungry or malnourished
    which means they don’t have enough food to survive.

    We believe people should give up enough time so they can help and give the poor the life they deserve.

  4. Clean and healthy water is very important to each individual person in the world. Sadly, over the last 5 years the statistics have gone up and down. In 2008, 33% of the world’s population had no access to safe water supply. Then in 2010, it dropped to 18% whitch was fantasic. Surprising, in 2013, the lack of safe water supply went back up to 35% of the world. It is terrible that this amount of people can’t drink the water they have. The water of the 35% of the people is dirty, there are diseses and could cause an infection, sickness and even death.

  5. In 2008 sadly only 7% of people had a computer. In 2013 the percentage increased to a whopping 40% of the worlds population. We think this because these past years people have been getting better jobs that pay a lot more money to allow them to buy a computer. Also, people have started to realise the value of the computer and how it can connect to the rest of the world.

  6. In 2010 only 47% of people lived in an urban area while 53% lived in a rural area. this was because the money that is going around is not spreading as far as it should.

    In 2013 51% of people would be living in the center of a village and 49% of people would be scattered around all over town. This is important because it shows how people are living everywhere and that maybe it is cheaper to live out of the city!

  7. If the World were a village of 100 people…
    We discovered that the world is changing but not for all good reasons. In 2008 we found out that a whopping 56% of the world have no sanitation whatsoever. That means that more than half of the population live without clean and useable toilets and clean drinking water. Imagine that! But we soon realised that in 2010 this problem had increased to a staggering 63%! This means that it has risen up to 7% that might not seem too much, but remember the world is a village of 7 billion. 7% has you be multiplied by 7 billion humans. Isn’t that fascinating!!

    We thought that the cause of this was related to the inappropriate use of military weapons and not enough funding for the poorer people. Also, many families are growing in an unstable environment which causes a population boom and therefore not enough toilets or clean sanitation, etc.) for everyone.

    As a community we have to change the world for the better!!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *